Monday, August 3, 2015

Sharing Vintage Quilts


I visited a friend and got a chance to take a look at some family quilts. Above is a very bright  (I think the fabrics must have been kept out of the sun) quilt using half square triangles and dresden plates. While this is a traditional quilt it looks very modern too. The top middle square's use of bright, sunny yellow is a fun departure from the expected.

This quilt also happens to be backed by another quilt. There is no binding and one quilts wraps around to the front. My friend says she has peeked through an small open seam and says there is a third quilt inside as batting!

I would love to know what the hidden, inside quilt looks like. As you can imagine, this quilt is very heavy. A winter quilt I am sure.


Another well loved quilt. The large missing piece (bottom middle of quilt) almost relegated this family quilt to the donate pile, or worse, the garbage bin. Thankfully, my friend saved it (it was her husband's mother's quilt).

As you can see on the backing, this quilt was heavily hand quilted. I would guess inch spaced lines.

Big thanks to my friend for letting my fondle her quilts and take pics. I have a few more to share and I have taken notes on a few so I can attempt to recreate the blocks.

If you are ever in Riggins, Idaho, stop by her antique shop on Main St, Two Ladies Antiquities

Check out our machine quilting services. You can mail your top and backing in to our shop and we will mail your quilted to back to you

Instagram
Heather: @thequiltbarn
Tara (me!): @tinyglutton

Facebook
The Quilt Barn

2 comments:

  1. Amazing how current a vintage quilt can look! (I am also bowled over by the idea of a quilt backed by another quilt and batted with another ... was this very common I wonder?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder that too. I tried to get some info but didn't find much. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete